Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Amazing watching

The morning after...13 Moons definitely doesn't let you go even long after watching it. Surprisingly I slept like a baby an hour after watching it. The film is very harrowing but its finale is so full of beautiful serenity that calms and balances everything. I feel a great sense of peace after the nun dispappears once she blesses everything that's important to Erwin/Elvira.

The word "haunting" is unquestitonably invented for this film!...the slaughterhouse sequence - oh my god, I nearly lost my dinner. It is so brutal and scary but at the same time, very beautiful and poetic. Definitely a metaphor for many things - the concentration camps and Erwin's sacrifice. One of the best use of metaphor I've ever seen in films - so gorgeously choreographed that you could easily get lost in that slaughterhouse. And what about the visit to the nun? How the camera sweeps around as the nun reflecting on Erwin's childhood... its like the spirit leading us throughout the memories of Erwin's damaged childhood. I love the Cabiria-like prostitute in a fluffy fur coat.. after reciting a bedtime story to the corpse-like, sleeping Elvira , she watches the TV, flipping the channels for a good amount of time. What is the signifiance of that scene? Not sure of that.

Anyway, an amazing film that rocks my world at the moment. Fassbinder's best film easily (with Veronika Voss).

How do Fassbinder's other films Martha (made for TV ) and Fox And His Friends stand up to 13 Moons? Those two are the ones I've not seen yet.. looking forward to locating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment